Thursday, March 18, 2010
Ten Things to Know about JEANS FOR GENES!
Here are ten things to note about JEANS FOR GENES, the upcoming fashion party market!
- Jeans for Genes is a fashion show/party and market! IT is scheduled to hold on Sat March 27th, at the swanky SWE BAR, City Mall, Onikan, 3pm.
Jeans for Genes is brought to you by THESE GENES, a sickle cell project run by Tosyn Bucknor. These Genes aims to create awareness-based social programmes, for people to be able to hang out, have some fun, and ultimately, speak and learn about sickle cell disorder.
- The first edition of JEANS FOR GENES held in 2008 and featured lovely designs by Byge, Beampeh and My Q, with music performances by Bez, M.I, Etcetera and so on. (Notice how big they’ve become now?! We saw something back then!)
- This year, JEANS FOR GENES is all about TEESHIRTS! Nigerians love teeshirts, which truly are multi-purpose when you think about it. Teeshirts are used for awareness campaigns, as fashion apparels, and to create a bond. JEANS FOR GENES 2 would like to show what Nigerian designers are now doing with teeshirts on their mind!
- Jeans for Genes is three things in one- an awareness fashion show, which will feature sickle-cell awareness and a fashion show, a teeshirt party with music, drinks (bought by you o), and networking, and a market! Yes o! There will be teeshirts, accessories and more on sale on that day, and the prices will be so good, you’d wish Jeans for Genes was a monthly event!
- It’s JUST a teeshirt right? Not when you see what TONI PAYNE, STRICTLY NAIJA CLOTHING, OUCH! HAPPY FACEZ and IMAGINE CLOTHING do with it! These are five of some of the proudly Nigerian companies whose designs you will see on the runway come Sat Mar 27th! Each of these companies brings something unique to the table, and we are very pleased and excited to have them on board! They have also promised to donate items to the cause, so that proceeds from the sale of same, will go into the final pot at the end of the day!
- The models that will walk the runway will be beautifully made up by LABELLE’s TOUCH. So expect them to look glam! They will also exhibit accessories designed by BUCKSTONE VENTURES, T.T DALK FOOTWEAR, AKIN BEADS, and MY DAZZLE. And everything they model, will be available for sale! (We emphasise that. Forgive us!)
- It’s not just fashion though! We have to have music! And when we say music! We mean an OVERDOSE of music! We mean SKUKI and LOOSE KAYNON, WIZKID and LAMI, ZARA and HAKYM THE DREAM, MODE NINE and SKALES, DIPP and MO CHEDDAH... And the very pretty DOOSHIMA DABO’ADZUANA as the m.c on the day!
- Jeans for Genes is a teeshirt party so OF COURSE, the dress code is TEES AND THESE GENES! The question is... how creative will YOU get with this dress code?! Tees can be dressed up or down, they can be sexy, cute or classic, they can be zany or simple... So which direction are you thinking of going? NIGEZIE, SOUNDCITY,MTV, HIP ON TV, QUEST TV, STV, BELLA NAIJA, GUARDIAN, and more, will be on the Red Carpet, hoping to capture sexy and creative interpretations of the dress code. Remember, its TEES AND THESE GENES!
- But we couldn’t have put this event together without support from s.h.a.r.e, Zapphaire Events, X3M Music, YAT, and our lovely volunteers like Bolaji Ajayi! Youth Are Talking (YAT) will tell us a bit about H.I.V/AIDS so please watch out for their stand, and runway!
- So we do hope we will see you on SAT March 27th at Swe for 3pm, armed with enough cash to bargain shop and your phones to network?! Wait though! Is your name on the guest list yet? Not sure? Well, let me break it down! To get an invite to the Jeans for Genes fashion party/market/show, please get a specially designed THESE GENES teeshirt! There are two style, ‘THESE GENES CELEB’ and ‘ROCK THESE GENES’. The tees are available now and cost N4000! Please call or text 08023066252 to get your name on the Guest List o o o o o o o
So that’s ten things you need to know! Hope to see you there!